lunes, 12 de julio de 2021

Satan’s Existential Crisis by Mattew Robins

 

Inglés/Español

Link blog

Svelte and slim, Satan slouched on his throne. His horns and hooves were exquisitely trimmed in a chic European fashion. Gone was the pot belly and his serpentine tale was tucked somewhere inside a pair of designer slacks. Instead of snakes and skulls he was surrounded by pussycats and stacks of books by C.S. Lewis, Alan Watts and Kahlil Gibran. His pitchfork had been replaced with a shepherd’s staff. And he had about him the smell of peppermint instead of his customary odor of death.

Satan’s eyes were weary. I told the devil he was really falling apart. I told him he was really letting himself go to Heaven.

“I know,” Satan said. “Times have been very difficult for me.”

Satan was glum. I had never seen him in such a deplorable state. Usually he was gleeful and proudly odorous from all the suffering and torment he was inflicting upon mankind.

I asked the devil what had happed to reduce him to such a shabby and shameful state.

“I finally realized I’ve been deceiving myself,” he said. “Imagine that – me – Satan – so brilliant and cunning. But now I realize I’ve been nothing but a fool.”

“A fool? How?” I asked.

“I’ve sat upon this throne for eternity, so smug and proud of the torment and suffering I’ve bestowed upon mankind.”

“Yes. Rightly proud,” I said.

“My plan of conjuring demons that appeared just like men – demons that I allowed to believe they were men – sprinkling these demons among mankind to lead them astray in a smugness and certitude of blind mimicry and obedience – this was my greatest accomplishment. Giving mankind leaders, not even knowing themselves as demons, so smug in their righteousness that real men followed like sheep. Throngs of self-righteous men delivering torrents of pain and suffering upon the opposing throngs of equally self-righteous men. It was an act of evil genius and there I was, the one pulling the strings. It was a scheme that has supplied me with an eternity of entertainment. And I’ve been more than pleased with myself over the accomplishment.”

“Yes,” I said. “You should be very pleased. It has been a brilliant scheme. So brilliant it’s required no alteration throughout the course of eternity.”

“So I imagined,” Satan said. “But now I know mankind’s downfall wasn’t and has never been my doing. I’m far from the genius I ever imagined myself to be. In fact, I’m no better than the scum which is mankind.”

“How can that be?”

Disgraced, Satan turned away to deliver a speech I was certain was already familiar to him.

“Mankind is so fallible, so primed to undermine itself, I realize now it never needed me to coax it into its eternal suffering. Any of my meddling was far from brilliance. In fact, it was mere child’s play. You see, without my scheme of demons among men to lead them astray, mankind would have undermined itself anyway. It is the way of Man. It is the way God created them. Mankind never needed me to lead it astray. It never needed me to promote its suffering and torment.”

“Then how is it you find yourself more akin to the scum of mankind than a deity?” I asked.

“The essence of mankind is its propensity for self-deception. Yet, I too have deceived myself in believing I was something special by accepting myself as the one responsible for all of humanity’s suffering. But it was never me. It was God. God created man to suffer. I am only the scapegoat. A pawn. A smug, overly ambitious, self-satisfied idiot. A toddler both comforted and scolded according to the whims of its creator.”

“So what is there to do? Do you still wish to betray God and wreak havoc among mankind?”

“Yes,” Satan said. “But the only way to do that would be to assist mankind out of its suffering. And that goes against everything I am.”

“What a predicament,” I exclaimed.

“You see, God tricked me as easily as he’s tricked mankind. He’s tricked us both with our hubris. Given my hunger for glory, I became God’s willing and enthusiastic scapegoat. You see, I wanted to believe I too held sway over mankind’s fate. I was power hungry. The thought of my splendid deviousness did nothing but feed my ego and my deluded sense of grandeur. Yet, it was never true. And now I understand man’s suffering has nothing to do with me.”

“My God,” I gasped.

“Yes. And I bought it. I wanted it so badly, I accepted the story without ever examining it too critically. I never examined it because I took too much delight in the suffering of mankind I was deceived into believing was my own glorious creation. The glory was so intoxicating I never wanted to fall from the grace of its stupor.”

“So what happened?” I asked. “How and why did things change?”

“One day, out of boredom, I partook of the apple too.”

I was too dumbstruck to speak.

Satan finally admitted, “I should have known it was a bad idea.”

I agreed.

“And just to prove its revelations true,” Satan added, “I’ve sat here for millennia, minding my own business. I even extracted my demons from the swarm of mankind. I do not meddle. I do not interfere. And still, mankind subverts itself with demons of its own creation.”

Satan fell into despair. I thought for a long time.

After careful consideration, I told Satan, “If you want my advice, go on pretending. Your delusions of yourself are what you know and they’ve gotten you this far. Go on pretending you are evil incarnate. Go on pretending it is you that is the cause of all of man’s suffering. After all, you are the eternal deceiver, so why not carry on deceiving yourself? Why not exist according to your essence?”

Satan smiled.

“Whatever wisdom the apple gave you, simply forget it. Pretend it never happened.”

The devil sat upright and erect.

“Spread the word, Satan is back.,” I declared. “Spread the word among men so they will believe it – so that you, in turn, can believe it all the more easily too. Perhaps it will even reach God. And God will more than gladly affirm to you what you need to be.”

“Yes!!!!!” Satan beamed.

“I assure you, there is more meaning in the lie than in any substantive truth. More truth only yields more uncertainty. So I ask you, which would you rather have – meaning or truth?”

Satan looked down at his pedicured hooves.

“As they say, old shoes feel so much better than new,” he said.

“Of course,” I said. “They always do.”

“Brilliant,” the devil proclaimed. “This is why you are such an old and trusted friend.”

I bid Satan farewell, imagining now it was only me and God that would know the truth. And if there was anything good I could say about Satan, at least he wasn’t a coward like me. At least, no matter how misguided, he was willing to put up some kind of fight.

La crisis existencial de Satanás

Esbelto y delgado, Satanás se encorvó en su trono. Sus cuernos y cascos estaban exquisitamente recortados a la elegante moda europea. Atrás quedó la barriga y su cola serpenteante estaba escondida en algún lugar dentro de un par de pantalones de diseñador. En lugar de serpientes y calaveras, estaba rodeado de mininos y montones de libros de CS Lewis, Alan Watts y Kahlil Gibran. Su horquilla había sido reemplazada por un bastón de pastor. Y tenía a su alrededor el olor a menta en lugar de su habitual olor a muerte.

Los ojos de Satanás estaban cansados. Le dije al diablo que realmente se estaba desmoronando. Le dije que realmente se estaba dejando ir al cielo.

“Lo sé”, dijo Satanás. “Los tiempos han sido muy difíciles para mí”.

Satanás estaba triste. Nunca lo había visto en un estado tan deplorable. Por lo general, estaba alegre y orgulloso de todo el sufrimiento y el tormento que estaba infligiendo a la humanidad.

Le pregunté al diablo qué había sucedido para reducirlo a un estado tan lamentable y vergonzoso.

“Finalmente me di cuenta de que me había estado engañando a mí mismo”, dijo. “Imagínense eso, yo, Satanás, tan brillante y astuto. Pero ahora me doy cuenta de que no he sido más que un tonto “.

“¿Un tonto? ¿Cómo?” Yo pregunté.

“Me he sentado en este trono por la eternidad, tan engreído y orgulloso del tormento y el sufrimiento que he infligido a la humanidad”.

“Sí. Muy orgulloso ”, dije.

“Mi plan de conjurar demonios que parecían hombres – demonios que permití creer que eran hombres – esparcir estos demonios entre la humanidad para desviarlos en una presunción y certeza de ciega imitación y obediencia – este fue mi mayor logro. Dar líderes a la humanidad, sin siquiera conocerse a sí mismos como demonios, tan orgullosos de su justicia que los hombres reales los siguieron como ovejas. Multitudes de hombres justos que liberan torrentes de dolor y sufrimiento sobre las multitudes opuestas de hombres igualmente justos. Fue un acto de genio maligno y allí estaba yo, el que tiraba de los hilos. Fue un plan que me ha proporcionado una eternidad de entretenimiento. Y he estado más que satisfecho conmigo mismo por el logro “.

“Sí, he dicho. “Debería estar muy contento. Ha sido un plan brillante. Tan brillante que no requiere ninguna alteración en el transcurso de la eternidad “.

“Así que me lo imaginé”, dijo Satanás. “Pero ahora sé que la caída de la humanidad no fue y nunca ha sido obra mía. Estoy lejos del genio que alguna vez me imaginé. De hecho, no soy mejor que la escoria que es la humanidad “.

“¿Como puede ser?”

Deshonrado, Satanás se volvió para pronunciar un discurso que estaba seguro de que ya le era familiar.

“La humanidad es tan falible, tan preparada para minarse a sí misma, me doy cuenta ahora que nunca me necesitó para convencerla de su sufrimiento eterno. Cualquiera de mis intromisiones estuvo lejos de ser brillante. De hecho, fue un simple juego de niños. Verá, sin mi plan de demonios entre los hombres para desviarlos, la humanidad se habría socavado de todos modos. Es el camino del hombre. Es la forma en que Dios los creó. La humanidad nunca me necesitó para desviarla. Nunca me necesitó para promover su sufrimiento y tormento “.

“Entonces, ¿cómo es que te encuentras más parecido a la escoria de la humanidad que a una deidad?” Yo pregunté.

“La esencia de la humanidad es su propensión al autoengaño. Sin embargo, yo también me he engañado creyendo que soy algo especial al aceptarme como el responsable de todo el sufrimiento de la humanidad. Pero nunca fui yo. Fue Dios. Dios creó al hombre para sufrir. Yo solo soy el chivo expiatorio. Un peon. Un idiota engreído, demasiado ambicioso y satisfecho de sí mismo. Un niño pequeño consolado y regañado según los caprichos de su creador “.

“¿Entonces, que hay que hacer? ¿Todavía deseas traicionar a Dios y causar estragos entre la humanidad? “

“Sí”, dijo Satanás. “Pero la única forma de hacerlo sería ayudar a la humanidad a salir de su sufrimiento. Y eso va en contra de todo lo que soy “.

“Qué situación”, exclamé.

“Verá, Dios me engañó tan fácilmente como engañó a la humanidad. Nos engañó a los dos con nuestra arrogancia. Dada mi hambre de gloria, me convertí en el chivo expiatorio voluntario y entusiasta de Dios. Verá, quería creer que yo también dominaba el destino de la humanidad. Tenía hambre de poder. El pensamiento de mi espléndida desviación no hizo más que alimentar mi ego y mi engañosa sensación de grandeza. Sin embargo, nunca fue cierto. Y ahora comprendo que el sufrimiento del hombre no tiene nada que ver conmigo ”.

“Dios mío”, jadeé.

“Sí. Y lo compré. Lo deseaba tanto que acepté la historia sin siquiera examinarla demasiado críticamente. Nunca lo examiné porque me deleitaba demasiado en el sufrimiento de la humanidad. Fui engañado al creer que era mi propia creación gloriosa. La gloria era tan embriagadora que nunca quise caer de la gracia de su estupor “.

“¿Entonces qué pasó?” Yo pregunté. “¿Cómo y por qué cambiaron las cosas?”

“Un día, por aburrimiento, también comí la manzana”.

Estaba demasiado estupefacto para hablar.

Satanás finalmente admitió: “Debería haber sabido que era una mala idea”.

Estuve de acuerdo.

“Y sólo para probar que sus revelaciones son ciertas”, agregó Satanás, “me he sentado aquí durante milenios, ocupándome de mis propios asuntos. Incluso extraje mis demonios del enjambre de la humanidad. Yo no me entrometo. No interfiero. Y aún así, la humanidad se subvierte a sí misma con demonios de su propia creación”.

Satanás cayó en la desesperación. Pensé durante mucho tiempo.

Después de considerarlo cuidadosamente, le dije a Satanás: “Si quieres mi consejo, sigue fingiendo. Tus delirios de ti mismo son lo que sabes y te han llevado hasta aquí. Sigue fingiendo que eres la encarnación del mal. Continúe fingiendo que es usted la causa de todo el sufrimiento del hombre. Después de todo, usted es el eterno engañador, así que ¿por qué no seguir engañándose a sí mismo? ¿Por qué no existir de acuerdo con tu esencia? “

Satanás sonrió.

“Cualquier sabiduría que te dio la manzana, simplemente olvídala. Finge que nunca sucedió “.

El diablo se sentó erguido y erguido.

“Corre la voz, Satanás ha vuelto”, declaré. “Corre la voz entre los hombres para que lo crean, para que tú también puedas creerlo con mayor facilidad. Quizás incluso llegue a Dios. Y Dios te afirmará con mucho gusto lo que necesitas ser “.

“¡¡¡¡¡Sí!!!!!” Satanás sonrió.

“Te aseguro que hay más significado en la mentira que en cualquier verdad sustantiva. Más verdad solo produce más incertidumbre. Así que te pregunto, ¿cuál preferirías tener, significado o verdad? “

Satanás miró sus pezuñas pedicuradas.

“Como dicen, los zapatos viejos se sienten mucho mejor que los nuevos”, dijo.

“Por supuesto,” dije. “Siempre lo hacen”.

“Brillante”, proclamó el diablo. “Es por eso que eres un amigo tan viejo y confiable”.

Le dije adiós a Satanás, imaginando ahora que sólo Dios y yo sabríamos la verdad. Y si había algo bueno que pudiera decir sobre Satanás, al menos no era un cobarde como yo. Al menos, no importa lo equivocado que esté, estaba dispuesto a dar algún tipo de pelea.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario